When Inez went to Brazil for two weeks, we took the opportunity of Daniel being home to get him potty trained. We started on Saturday, August 21st and I must say it was a breeze. Well, for me anyway. When I went back to work on Monday, my Mom and Jensen took over the potty training duties. During the first couple of days, I had my doubts. He just didn't seem to get it and ended up peeing on the floor a few times. I suggest a
Little Green Machine for anyone who has to go through the potty training process because it easily cleaned up the mess. We ended up using a timer to remind us when to have him try to go potty. He also responded better to a timer going off than to us telling him it was time to go. When the timer chirped, he would literally throw whatever was in his hands in the air and run to the bathroom. It made us laugh every time! After about a week of using the timer, we thought we should stop because Pavlov's dog came to mind. We joked that he'd be in school, a timer would go off and he'd jump up to use the bathroom. I did fall back on it once during the timer weaning process. We told him it was time to go potty. He refused saying he didn't have to. The heck with it I thought and set the timer for a minute. It went off and sure enough, he ran to the bathroom! Little stinker.
We used the same rewards we did for Natalie. M&M's and a sticker chart (or three). When he reached the colored in squares, he got to pick a prize at Target. However, unlike Natalie who picked stickers every time for her reward, he picked a dinosaur. I was going to go with only two charts, but Jensen made a third one. Natalie made the middle and bottom chart. The middle one, which is the first chart, was a lot fancier. She put his name on it and created a sticker border.
Here they are playing with the dinosaurs in a school bus.
Only one instance of hollering. He's shouting "Nattie!" I don't remember why though as you can see he has the bus. I'm thinking he wanted her attention.
No comments:
Post a Comment