Jon went to Loon Lodge for the weekend to help his parents move some stuff into their new cabin that is on White Earth Lake. I decided to take the kids to a State Park to get them out of the house. I chose Afton since it was one of the closer State Parks. When we got there, Natalie was looking for the park. I kind of laughed to myself and told her this was a nature park so I doubt we'd see any playground equipment. I packed some food and supplies for a picnic and we walked to the picnic area that was by the St. Croix River about 0.4 of a mile from the parking lot. I didn't think that would be too far for them, but on the way back, Natalie complained and asked if I would carry her. At that point, I realized we should do this more often if she is asking to be carried. No, I didn't carry her and she was fine with that because, well, she had to be. I wasn't about to carry her. Anyway, since I wasn't sure if it was going to storm or not, we stayed just long enough to eat our food. I didn't want to be caught out there knowing I had 2 kids with me that didn't walk very fast. Along the way, Daniel would pick up some rocks. When we got to the top of some stairs, I told him to hold my hand. He proceeded to give me 2 rocks and his stick. I put the rocks in his pocket and told him that would be a good place to keep them. After that, I noticed him pick up some more rocks along the way and put them in his pocket. One time, however, he exclaimed "Here's another rock." He picked up the rock and put it down real fast. It turned out to be a little piece of dog poop. I don't think he picked up anymore after that. When we had to walk back up the stairs, I decided to count them. Natalie heard me counting to Daniel and decided to count them too. She got to the top and said "34!" I counted 103.
What I learned from this experience is that I didn't need to drive 45 minutes for the kids to not be enthused about a nature walk and picnic. I could go to one of the many regional parks. I think the State Parks will be reserved for when they are a bit older. Unless of course we are driving right by one.


1 comment:
Nice pix!! Nattie and I just looked at them together---she and I are the only ones up!! Love the I'm hiding one--would love to have a print of it!! XXXX
Post a Comment